day 2: what is a goal?
posted: September 3, 2010
why goal set?
There is a way to write your goals so they are powerful and meaningful. Goals set an intention and are not a one-time deal but an exercise for living every day.
- provides focus
- creates your life
- helps you discover your personal path
- teaches you where you are taking personal responsibility
what is a goal?
A goal is a written statement with a deadline (or “by when”, as we call them here at lululemon). A goal inspires you to do the work. Your goals should excite and even scare you.
A goal is not a ‘to do’ list or an idea, what your family/boyfriend/girlfriend/etc. wants for you, or what society states is for you.
Goals are to create what does not already exist.
Goals are based on a long-term plan that has no constraints. Anything is possible. Whatever you need to achieve your long-term goal (skills, funding, experience, etc.) you can gain with time.
Your words create your world and you become what you think about most of the time. Remove the following words from your language and you will reach your goals: try, hopefully, wish, might, maybe.
how to get started
Start from where you are. Reaching goals is hard work, so get ready to dig in and discipline yourself. Accept total responsibility for everything that happens. Ask for feedback along the way.
Here are some questions to help you start thinking about your ideal life:
• What are you willing to give your life to?
• What are you willing to commit to everyday?
• What causes you to be inspired everyday?
• If a wish could be granted, what would you wish?
• What kind of difference do you want to make in the world?
• State your ideal life
• Be descriptive
• Choose a moment in time and explain everything that is going on around you
• Get beyond your life. What is the state of the world?
- Write your obituary. Imagine your eventual demise. It has an amazing impact on how you live in the moment.
- Write your retirement speech. What would you say? What would your oldest colleague say? What would your mentor say?
Collage your ideal life and hang it somewhere you will see it often. Watch it all come into being.
- Learn how our Digital Innovation Manager, Carolyn, sets goals: The Top 10 Ways I Goal Set
- How to make an effective vision board: Goals, Arts and Crafts Style