foods to keep you fueled up
posted: May 29, 2009
When I first started triathlon training, I liked to joke that I support my local growers by eating everything in sight! My farmer’s market in Leucadia, California was thrilled, my Mom was proud of me for cooking and Seaside Market in Cardiff, CA was happily selling me coconut water by the case. I was expending all this energy training and I didn’t know how to refuel to keep my body moving – so I just ate a lot and often.
It took a lot of trial and error to figure out the mechanics of eating, but I am starting to get it down. I found that when I got too hungry, I made bad choices and portion control went out the window. So now I break my meals into 5 to 6 a day. I time my biggest meal after my biggest workout (usually lunch after my noon master swim).
Here are some of my favorite pre/post workout foods:
- Avocado toast – Who needs butter? (So delicious and great for the heart, cholesterol, breast health)
- Tuna fish, cucumber, chopped heirloom tomatoes mixed with Annie’s Lemon Chive dressing, cracked pepper and crumbled goat cheese (my protein revival meal!)
- Coconut water (Nature’s Gatorade, coconut water naturally hydrates the body)
- Banana, almond butter w/ a sprinkle of flax seed (protein, Omega3s, a powerhouse breakfast or snack)
- Oatmeal with fresh berries and agave (heart healthy and filling)
- Frozen Yogurt – only if I get toppings!!!
- Beans, brown rice, tomatillo salsa, lime, crushed red pepper and shrimp in a wheat tortilla – dinner for 3 nights straight last week!
- Fish tacos and a frosty beer (it’s all about the balance)
The two best pieces of advice that work for me:
- Hydrate at night. But of course! Score one for more energy, less leg cramping and better digestion.
- Up your protein intake. I don’t eat meat so this was a tricky one. I do eat fish so I upped my intake (yippee, more fish tacos!) and added chopped hard-boiled egg to salads. The protein gave me energy and kept me fuller longer.
I’m always looking or new ideas, recipes, meal plans. Check out my friends’ James and Beth’s food blog (pictured below). They put the yummiest stuff on there!
left to right: Kirsten, Katya, James, Rachel (Tri Babe) and Beth (Tri Babe)
What are your favorite things to eat pre- and post-training? (p.s., thanks for the Clif Shot Blok Margarita suggestion, yum!!!)