posted: February 23, 2013
It’s well known around the lululemon Store Support Centre: our Athletic Stylist Elim has #thesweatlife down to an art. This girl Down Dogs and burpees with the best of them yet always looks chic during class and after, too. Recently she went on a photo shoot to Hawaii and we asked her to share with us some of her secrets for how to pack for a trip in the tropics. Take it away, Elim!
Be it work or play, I check my weather app almost obsessively before leaving on a trip. The Weather Network is forecasting highs of 27’C for the day we arrive in Honolulu – that’s 20 degrees warmer than Vancouver! Airplane cabin temperatures are notoriously on the cooler side so I’ve learned to layer, layer, layer. Each piece has to have a purpose and be easy to remove and stow.
what I’m wearing
- Wunder Under Crop: This style is a no-brainer. They are beyond comfy and look good being comfy, too.
- Shape Jacket: The perfect in-between layer that helps keep my core warm during the flight and easy to zip off upon arrival. Bonus: luon can roll into the tiniest of spaces and won’t use up too much space in my carry on.
other in-flight must haves
- giant scarf that can double as a blanket
- hand lotion
- fully charged tunes (on repeat: Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko – Stay, Frank Ocean – Thinking Of You)
what’s in my suitcase
Styles can come and go, but our fabrics have longevity. On this trip, I needed to have clothing for long days on set, potential yoga/run dates with the team all while staying comfortably cool in warm unpredictable weather. Knowing this, I narrowed it down to styles in my closet that were made of Tencel Silk, Silverescent Sheer Luon, Silverescent, Swift, Vitasea, Seamless and of course, luon. These pieces rolled/folded well with minimal wrinkling, could air dry overnight if I need to do any hotel sink laundry and when paired or accessorized properly could be multipurpose.
what’s in my purse
- My watch: for when the iPhone runs out of juice
- Powdered sunscreen: perfect for touchups in the heat
- eyelash curler
- eye drops…dry peepers post-flight be gone!
- Cuticle cream: travel makes my hands so dry.
- EmergenC…no time for sickness on these trips, trust me.
- re-usable shopper for last minute items
We can’t wait for you all to see more from Elim’s Hawaiian adventure coming up soon! What essentials do you pack on your trips away?